Runtime Insights is only available in Early Access
Runtime Insights is currently in an early access period. If you are interested in trying Runtime Insights in your projects, please apply to our Early Access Program.
Runtime Insights uses information obtained during your application's runtime to provide contextual information to Pull Requests. Runtime Insights currently supports Codecov's Critical Changes features, which includes:
- Labelling Pull Requests as Critical, such that important PRs in a list of currently open pull requests is emphasized.
- Labelling changed files as Critical in the Codecov PR Comment, such that important changes are the file level are obvious to the PR author and reviewer(s).
- Adding an Impacted Entrypoints table to the Codecov PR Comment, such that changes in a pull request are mapped directly to the most user facing aspect of the application
Critical Changes are Currently in Early Access
The below definition of Critical Change will be used during Runtime Insight's early access period. It is expected that this definition will change, and may even be user configurable, on future releases.
A Critical Change is any code change in a Pull Request that impacts code that is frequently executed in a production/runtime context. More specifically, if a line of code executed more than <> the average of all executed lines is edited, it is considered a Critical Change.
Currently, not even language is able to benefit from Runtime Insights. The current languages and/or frameworks are supported:
- PHP (7.4 or higher) applications using the Laravel Framework.
- Python 3 or higher
The following languages will be supported soon:
- Ruby (v3.1 or higher)
Codecov is using the Runtime Insights Early Access period to determine which languages and frameworks to support next. If you are interested in Runtime Insights, but do not use one of the above languages or frameworks, we encourage you to apply to help us determine what languages to prioritize next.
In order to function, Runtime Insights requires the following:
- A profiling token used to identify your repository and authenticate API requests. During the Early Access period this token is provided to you directly by Codecov staff.
- A repository using one of our supported languages that is currently running in a production context.
- Varying dependencies that are determined by the language and/or framework being used.
Specific installation instructions will be provided for your language of choice upon acceptance into the Early Access program.
To see Impacted Entrypoints in your pull request comments, "betaprofiling" must be added to the
comment.layout section of your codecov.yml, as follows:
comment: layout: "reach,diff,flags,tree,betaprofiling"
If you wish to add "Critical" markers to impacted files, you must update your codecov.yml as follows:
comment: show_critical_paths: true
These settings are also supported at the Team YAML level.
Updated 5 months ago